Grasett Park celebrates the response of Canada's medical workers to the influx of Irish migrants during the summer of 1847, many of whom arrived sick or dying from typhus, known then as ship's fever.
Situated at the corner of Adelaide Street West and Widmer Street (on the same plot of land as Toronto’s first brick hospital), the park is named after Dr. George Robert Grasett, who was appointed as Chief Attending Surgeon of the Hospital in June 1847 and who - along with fellow doctors, nurses, orderlies, and other caregivers - died shortly thereafter, having contracted the disease while providing care to the Irish newcomers.
These courageous individuals played an important role in the medical history of the city as well as the history of migration and settlement of Toronto.   At the time, Toronto's population was roughly 20,000.  The arrival of 38,560 Irish migrants fleeing the Great Famine, including thousands who became sick during the perilous journey, quickly overwhelmed the Hospital's capacity and resources.  Temporary fever sheds were erected in the field behind the hospital, where the Grasett Park now stands.

Canada Ireland Foundation began early planning for the commemorative park in 2008.   Since then, the park's development has benefited from the support and contributions from many tremendous partners.
The official opening and dedication of Grasett Park will take place on July 16, 2021, marking the 174th anniversary of Dr. Grasett's death.    Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, Canada Ireland Foundation determined to hold a virtual (online) ceremony, with no public presence on-site, and to use the occasion to honour healthcare workers past and present.